Are you looking for a small humidifier to add moisture and prevent dryness in your small room? Are you unsure what the best small humidifier to choose?
A small humidifier is intended for spaces like bedrooms, offices and other confined rooms that get to dry. These rooms might be the reason for your allergies, sinus problems, dry skin, nose throat and lips.
Adding a humidifier is one of the best ways to combat the dry air and enjoy your time in the room without worrying if you’ll catch a cold or contract other air related allergies.
So, in this article, we have listed the best small room humidifiers for various needs. We have also include a buying guide to help you understand the most important factors to consider when purchasing a humidifier. If these units are too small, check our best large room humidifier review.
Best Small Humidifier for Small Room Reviews
1. Vicks V745A 1.0-Gallon Warm Mist Humidifier
- WARM MIST HUMIDIFIER – Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier helps to ensure proper humidity levels in your home. Indoor humidity levels between 40-60% can help relieve cough and congestion, keep throat and nasal passages hydrated and more.
- COUGH AND CONGESTION RELIEF – Vaporizers for bedroom and home can be helpful during cold season, when it’s difficult to sleep with cough and congestion. Humidifiers with warm mist can provide temporary relief by adding necessary moisture to the air.
- QUICK AND EASY TO USE – This filter-free humidifier can be used with Vicks VapoSteam for medicated vapors. With a 1 gallon tank, you can enjoy warm mist for up to 24 hours. It’s quiet, too, making it a great choice for your bedroom or as a baby humidifier.
- HUMIDIFIERS FOR BEDROOM AND MORE – A warm mist humidifier is great for a baby, young children and adults, and fits perfectly into any room. Use them when the air is dry, in allergy season, when sick or even just to maintain optimal indoor humidity levels.
- A CENTURY OF POWERFUL RELIEF– At Vicks, we believe that everyone deserves a touch of care. Our line of humidifiers, steam inhalers and vaporizers help you breathe better, wherever you are.
Last update on 2024-02-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Vicks Model V745A is a beautiful white humidifier with a translucent, light blue water tank. Take note that it’s the only warm mist humidifier on this list. Extensive research shows that the mist is up to 96% bacteria-free. It, therefore, delivers fresh, healthy air that boosts health and everyday comfort.
Some of the V745A’s top features include settings for ideal comfort, automatic shut off, and a soothing glow nightlight. The V745A also boasts a locked boiling chamber to boost user safety. The chamber mixes dry room air with pure steam vapor, leaving your indoors both warm and humidified.
The humidifier features a non-stick coating for easy cleaning. The 1.0-gallon tank runs uninterrupted for up to 12 hours. The tank is designed for easy filling and carrying; it drains completely with no standing water.
- Warm mist humidifier
- Easy to clean, fill, and handle
- Vicks menthol pads provide a soothing experience
- Wicking filter removes dirt from the water
- Illuminating nightlight might be bothersome
2. VicTsing Cool Mist Humidifier
No products found.
Another whisper quiet humidifier, this time with a smaller water tank, the VicTsing is a reasonably priced unit with plenty of bells and whistles. The humidifier produces as little as 32 decibels of noise (quieter than a computer) on Low Mode. the humidifier is also extremely energy efficient and has just one control knob to input all your settings.
The 45-degrees tilting nozzle is designed to give off continuous mist in a specified direction. If using the humidifier in the bedroom, remember to point the nose towards the bed. The humidifier also boasts an automatic shutoff feature and LED lights for low water and when the tank runs dry.
The 2-liter, easy to refill cool mist humidifier features an arc-shaped handle with anti-slip grooves for secure handling. It’s ideal for space between 100 to 175 square feet.
- Efficient mist production
- Lasts all night on low mode
- Quiet ultrasonic humidification
- Low-water protection
- Extra small water tank
3. iTvanila Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
No products found.
A unique, black humidifier that utilizes nano-coating for longer machine life, the iTvanila 0.7-gallon humidifier, is a high output unit that produces 210ml of moisture every hour. Not many small humidifiers produce that much humidity. As a result, the unit can operate continuously for up to 31 hours on Low Mode. On High Mode, it lasts 12 hours.
Being an ultrasonic humidifier, it is filter-less, meaning that you don’t have to worry about cleaning or replacing filters. The humidifier features a sensitive touch control panel that’s easy to control. It’s comfortable and quiet, producing just 32 decibels of noise, making it perfect for a disturbance-free night.
The unit is also extremely safe. The slim design allows it to fit into narrow spaces. But, with an automatic shutoff control and the nano-coating protecting the circuit board from water, you’re completely safe at all times.
- Quiet, ultrasonic technology
- Sensitive touch control
- High output (210ml/hour)
- Automatic shutoff
- Extra small tank
4. iTeknic Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
No products found.
The first thing you’ll notice about the iTeknic is the handle. The unit has a real handle at the top that you can use to carry it from one place to another. Impressively, that’s not even the best thing about the iTeknic, with that title going to the impressive silent operation. The iTeknic produces just 27 decibels of noise!
The iTeknic also has a high output capacity and rate. Designed for spaces up to 430 square feet, this 4-liter unit delivers moisture at an impressive 300ml/hour. Thanks to the large tank, it can last up to 50 hours in between refills.
Other features of the iTeknic include 360-degree humidity coverage thanks to a rotating nozzle, a big water tank opening for easy cleaning and refilling, and a built-in tank handle for easy handling. Automatic shutoff, dry burn protection, and a 2-year warranty are the other highlights.
- Unique silent technology
- High output/tank capacity
- Easy to clean and refill
- Multiple safety features
- Uninspiring aesthetics
5. UCAREAIR Cool Mist Humidifier
- 【ALL NIGHT MIST with 2-LITER WATER TANK】 Cool mist humidifiers for bedroom Quiet hold up to 2 liters (0.5gallon) of water, the humidifiers for home allows up to 10 hours of working time in high mist.Up to 30 hours of working time in low mist. The kids humidifiers for bedroom provides up to 200sq.ft coverage for bedrooms, offices, and other medium-sized rooms. Besides soothing dim night light Offers deep sleeping.
- 【WHISPER-QUIET OPERATION with ULTRASONIC TECHNOLOGY】 Baby humidifiers for nursery lowers the noise level to 28dB for quiet humidification. So this air humidifiers for bedroom won’t disturbing your bedtime, working or study – ideal for bedroom, living room, baby nursery, kids room or office space.
- 【AUTOMATIC SHUT-OFF for INCREASED SAFETY】Cool mist humidifiers for kids will automatically shut off with red LED light on when water level is low or the water tank is removed. No worry when you are in a hurry leaving home.
- 【HUMIDIFIER & DIFFUSER 2 IN 1】The upgraded cool mist humidifiers can be used as either a humidifiers for bedroom or an aromatherapy diffuser. Add your favorite essential oils to the aromatherapy tray to fill the room with scent while enjoying a healthy humidifier.
- 【HIGH/LOW MIST LEVELS with EASY USE BUTTON】Filterless Humidifiers Diffuser with 2 mist setting levels (High and low speed settings) for you to adjust mist direction and speed to fit your comfort level. Simple one touch button is quite easy to understand and setup. The air humidifiers for bedroom will change you life effectively.
Last update on 2024-02-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Everyone loves a quiet humidifier, especially when buying one for small-scale use. That’s what you get with the UCAREAIR. Producing just 32 decibels of noise, it won’t disturb your bedtime and is also an excellent choice for study time, the office, or the baby’s bedroom. The two-liter tank allows the unit to run all night.
The UCAREAIR is designed for spaces measuring up to 200 square feet. At night, a soothing dim light offers maximum relaxation without disturbing your sleep. The humidifier employs automatic shutoff technology for increased safety. LED lights for low water and empty tank are also included.
Users choose from two mist settings – Low and High.
The UCAREAIR is covered with a 356-day (one-year) replacement warranty and a 60-day money-back guarantee. The company provides exemplary customer support whenever you run into any issues.
- Two mist settings
- No filters needed
- Works 10 hours uninterrupted
- Multiple safety features
- Small tank
6. FridaBaby 3-in-1 Humidifier with Diffuser and Nightlight
- 3-in-1 FUNCTIONALITY: Enjoy versatile usage by using the baby humidifier, diffuser, and nightlight together for a comprehensive experience or separately based on your needs, providing flexibility and convenience.
- ULTRASONIC COOL MIST HUMIDIFIER: Our baby humidifier converts water into a refreshing mist that runs up to 24 hours. The mist adjuster allows for a customizable experience, with a simple knob twist. The BPA-free water tank ensures safety and purity.
- COLOR CHANGING NIGHTLIGHT: Elevate your babies bedroom with a color-changing nightlight featuring a variety of hues, giving you control over a dreamy atmosphere for your little one.
- AROMATHERAPY DIFFUSER: Enhance breathing comfort by pairing with BreathFrida Vapor Drops to aid in congestion support for your little one. With a 0.5-gallon tank, it effectively covers up to 320 square feet, promoting a soothing atmosphere.
- AUTOMATIC SAFETY SHUTDOWN: Equipped with an auto-stop feature, ensuring the device turns off automatically when the water runs out or the tank is removed for enhanced safety of your little one.
Last update on 2024-02-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The most expensive item on this list, the FridaBaby’s most notable feature is the changing water tank color. Though the base remains white, the water tank changes color from green to blue to light-blue. The best part is that the user controls the colors. To change the color, all you need to do is press a button.
The humidifier adds BreatheFrida Vapor Drops to the mist. You can also add other aromatherapy-grade oils to the moisture to set the desired mood. You’ll find a mist adjuster that allows you to switch from gentle mist to tropical rainforest. An auto-stop feature automatically turns off when the water tank runs dry or if the tank is removed.
The FridaBaby produces moisture at the rate of 120ml/hour and is designed for rooms up to 300 square feet. It runs for 12 hours in between refills and is covered by a lifetime warranty.
- Adds aromatherapy oils to your moisture
- Nightlights add mood and ambiance
- Auto shutoff boosts safety
- Switch between gentle and tropical rainforest mist
- Most expensive on this list
Best Small Humidifier Buying Guide
So, you have a small room to humidify. Perhaps it’s your home office that could be anywhere up to 250 square feet. Or, maybe it’s an even smaller area measuring under 150 square feet. The following guide should help you pick the best humidifier for that space.
Why Size Matters
Humidifiers work by converting water to moisture (cool or warm) and distributing the moisture into your rooms. To sufficiently humidify your rooms, different humidifiers are designed to emit different volumes of moisture at any given time. The larger humidifiers, for example, blow as much as 25 gallons of moisture per day, which equates to just over one gallon per hour.
Such a large volume of moisture, if added to a small space, every hour would leave the space soaking wet and your walls and windows dripping with water. Items within the room that can absorb water, such as books, furniture, and floors, would be soaked and destroyed in the process.
The only way to avoid this problem is to invest in a smaller humidifier that delivers a smaller volume of moisture per unit time. Some personal humidifiers, such as desk humidifiers, for example, produce as little as 30ml of moisture per hour. Such a low volume is ideal for smaller spaces because it adds just enough moisture to keep you comfortable. Remember that excess moisture also creates the risk of mold and bacterial growth. Having the right humidification rate protects you, your family, and your home from these problems.
Another reason you need to find a small humidifier when working on smaller projects is portability. If you own the space and intend to install the humidifier for long-term use permanently, then a larger humidifier might make sense. However, sometimes all you want is a humidifier that you can bring on your travels, something you carry in your luggage. Or, maybe, you want a unit that you can put close to the bed at night and store away during the day.
Under the latter circumstances, buying a big humidifier would be impractical. A small, portable model such as a travel humidifier or desktop model would be the ideal pick.
How to Size a Humidifier
Once you’ve determined that a smaller model would be the right option for your situation, the next question becomes – how small? There are four considerations to help you answer this question.
- Square Foot Rating
Nearly all humidifier manufacturers indicate the intended space coverage for each model. The figure, often given in square feet, tells consumers the space range within which the humidifier would be most effective. For example, if a humidifier is rated 500 square feet, it means that the product is best suited to spaces measuring around 20 x 25 feet. You must go for a product in your space/home’s range to avoid under or over-humidification. If working in a 10 x 10-foot space, find a humidifier with a 100 square feet rating.
- Adjust for room height
One shortcoming of the humidifier sizes you’ll see online, however, is that they assume that all spaces have a uniform height of eight (8) feet (height here means the distance between the floor and ceiling). But, are all homes eight feet high? NO. Although most homes fall in that range, some homes have lower ceilings, while in others, the ceiling is higher. If your space has a ceiling lower or higher than the standard eight feet, you must adjust your calculations to reflect the difference. Experts recommend increasing or reducing your square foot rating figure by 20% for each foot as appropriate.
- Room insulation
Not all rooms/spaces are the same. Some are air-tight, meaning that they don’t unnecessarily lose indoor air nor allows outdoor air to enter the room. Others, meanwhile, have spaces around the door and windows and uninsulated walls that easily lose indoor heat. A tightly insulated room, generally, requires less humidification compared to poorly insulated areas. If your space is poorly insulated, experts recommend that you find a humidifier that’s rated 30% higher than the size of your room. In that case you might find the humidifiers for sinusitis to be ideal.
- Humidification load
Finally, it’s also important to consider the load in your space. Three main factors affect the load in a room; draft, temperature, and the number of people in the room. Where there’s a draft, you’ll need more humidification. The same applies if the temperatures in the room are lower relative to the external temperatures. About the number of people, every additional person increases the required humidity.
Types of Small Humidifiers
Small humidifiers can be categorized by size, function, or mode of operation. By size, there are two main subcategories; personal and portable. Personal humidifiers are the smallest humidifiers available. They are incredibly compact appliances, with most of them rated at 500ml. If a humidifier has a tank larger than one (1) liter, it’s not considered a personal humidifier.
Whole house humidifiers, meanwhile, are room humidifiers meaning they can effectively humidify an entire room. The humidifiers vary in size, ranging up to 5-liter capacities.
By function, you can have multiple categories of small humidifiers, including travel humidifiers, desk humidifiers, and bottle humidifiers. Travel and desk humidifiers are almost similar to travel humidifiers being relatively smaller. In both cases, however, the tanks are small in size, often holding as little as half a liter of water.
By mode of operation, small humidifiers can be evaporative, ultrasonic, or steam-operated. Evaporative humidifiers have a wick filter that draws water from the water tank. The blowing of a fan helps break this water into tiny moisture particles. The moisture particles are then released to your rooms to add humidity. All evaporative humidifiers are cool mist humidifiers.
Ultrasonic humidifiers don’t have a wick filter. Most of them also don’t use fans. Instead, to break down water into moisture, they make use of high frequency (ultrasonic) sound waves. The waves break down water into fine mist particles and then help disperse the mist into your rooms. In ultrasonic humidifiers with fans, the fan is used to help with moisture distribution. Ultrasonic humidifiers can be cool-mist or warm-mist.
Steam humidifiers work by boiling water until it turns to vapor and blow the vapor into your home. The vapor is always warm, explaining why steam humidifiers are considered a complementary home heating solution.
Other Factors to Consider when Buying a Small Humidifier
Aside from the modes of operation, the following are four other considerations to help you choose the right small humidifier.
Size of the tank
How small do you want the tank to be? To make the right decision, think about the intended application. If you’re looking for a personal humidifier to use, perhaps when traveling, then around 500ml should be enough. But, if you need a bedroom humidifier for overnight use, then a portable 3-to-5-liter model would be better.
Ease of handling and maintenance
Small humidifiers are supposed to be easy to handle and maintain. But, some are easier to handle and maintain than others. For instance, some small humidifiers have real handles so you can carry the units around with ease. Some are also equipped with LED lights to alert you when the water is low or runs out. Then, some are very easy to take apart and clean. These are just some of the factors to consider.
Whenever one is shopping for a small humidifier, it means that they intend to use the appliance in a tight space. Safety, therefore, becomes vital. You don’t want a that gets hot to the point that it can burn someone. You also don’t want a humidifier that can easily start a fire.
Finally, it’s also essential to consider the controls. First off, is the humidifier digitally controlled? If so, that’s a great starting point. Secondly, does it have a digitally-controlled thermostat? That would be another big win. Additionally, check for digital displays, the number of fan speed settings, remote control, and auto-shutoff features.
Small humidifiers are great for small-scale applications that don’t require large volumes of moisture. They are also a handy option when traveling or camping. If you decide to buy one, consider the tank capacity, ease of handling, safety of the appliance, and presence of digital/manual controls. Also, remember that you can choose from cool mist or warm mist options.