I don’t know about you, but my garage is one place I can’t abandon no matter the season. It’s more than just a parking space for my car, which is why I’ll do my absolute best to make sure it’s comfortable every season of the year.
But as you may know, keeping on with usual projects in the garage can be a real pain in the neck when the mercury drops. Even worse is having a poorly insulated garage, which forces you to suspend some pending projects.
Luckily enough, you can get cozy in your garage by using a portable garage heater. However, choosing the right heater can be a challenge. So, we prepared this guide to help you pick the best portable heater for garage depending your needs and budget.
10 Best Portable Garage Heater Reviews (Updated List)
Last update on 2021-07-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
If you are looking for the best portable garage heater for a small or medium-sized garage, then the Fahrenheit FUH54 is a perfect choice. Even though it’s small, it packs enough power that is worth the penny.
Notably, the Fahrenheat FUH54 heater produces 2500-5000 watts which is quite an outstanding output for a unit of its size. But if you want to heat a large room, you can check other 240 volt garage heaters.
Besides garages, you can use the heater in your basements, workshops, and other areas with small room space; less than 500 square feet. As for safety, it has numerous built-in safety features to keep it running reliably for hours without posing any risks. During installation, it can be mounted on the wall or ceiling thanks to the bracket.
However, one of the downsides of this machine is its complex installation process which requires the skills of a professional technician. It also has no settings to control, which means you can’t adjust the heat to your liking.
Features of Fahrenheat FUH54
- 2500-5000 watts
- Covers 500 square feet
- Great for basements, workshops, garage and outside buildings
- Water-resistant coat
- Adjustable Louvers
- Built-in mount bracket
- 240 voltage
- Has a handle to carry
- Fan forced air
- Require hardwired installation
- UL certified
It has an in-built mounting bracket that enables you to mount it on the wall or ceiling. This saves you garage space which you can use for other things. Additionally, the heater is away from the hands of your curious children and pawns of your pets.
Requires hardwired installation direct to electricity supply and it’s especially great if you are not planning to move it. This might be a complex process for most people, so it’s a good idea to hire a professional electrician to fix it for you.
Most users find electric garage heaters safe to use. Unlike propane and natural gas heaters which pose a risk of flammable fuel, Farhrenheat is safer. It also saves you money to build a new venting system to remove the noxious fumes that build up in propane and natural gas heaters. Its in-built mount bracket feature also provides safety in a home with children and pets.
The cost of the Fahrenheit garage heater is higher than propane and gas heaters.
- Has inbuilt mount bracket which enables vertical and horizontal mounting
- It’s an industrial type of heater
- Has a powerful heater
- Has water-resistant coat hence preventing rust
- Have adjustable louvers that allow you to direct heat to the area needed
- You are not worried about a blowing fuse because it has its own line
- Saves space for your other tools
- Can be mounted on the ceiling hence good for the safety of children and pets
- UL certified means it is safe by underwriter laboratories
- Does not come with a remote control
- Extra installation fee for it needs to be hardwired into a socket
- No settings to control the heat output
The Fahrenheat garage heater is just what homeowners need to keep garages warm and continue working even on winter days. It is a heater, producing 2500-5000 watts for any room less than 500 square feet. Thanks to its adjustable louvers which can help you direct heat to your desired direction. It also has a handle to carry therefore reducing your risk to get burnt by heat.
Dr. Heater DR966 Commercial Garage Heater comes with a heavy duty 240v single phase 3000/6000W that will provide you with the much-needed warmth on cold days. This heater is cost-efficient, comfortable, safe and it’s known for its excellent performance. It can be a source of primary or secondary heat for your garage and other areas of your house. It can also be used in hospitals, factories, warehouses, schools and many other buildings.
Features of DR. Heater DR966 Commercial heater
- Five adjustable louvers on the front that allow directing heat on the area needed
- Hardwired but the power cord does not come with the unit
- High and low setting adjustable thermostat
- Heavy-duty 240 voltage with high performance
- 8-inch fan giving great airflow that does not create noise or turbulence
- The heater is thermally protected and fully closed
- Has an overall height of 14.5 inches that is top to bottom, overall width of 13 inches that is side by side and overall depth of 14.5 inches that is front to back
- Also referred to as UL/CUL listed wall or ceiling mounted heater, comes with a bracket for a mounting requirement.
- Covers 600 square feet
Heater DR966 Commercial heater is known for its high performance and can be used in large spaces as well
Being mounted on the ceiling ensures the safety of children, pets, and other people is assured. The heater also has a tip-over protection and overheat auto shut off that protect you and your family from any burns when the heater overheats.
Has lubricated ball bearings which ensure the cost of maintenance is significantly reduced hence, increasing its durability
This heater covers an area of 600 square feet, therefore, a good choice for your garage space. It saves a lot of space since it can be mounted on the ceiling and you can use your garage for other needs.
- The heater comes with a 1-year warranty on labor and parts
- It is relatively quiet compared to other garage heaters as much as it uses a fan to distribute airflow in your garage
- Has adjustable louvers that help you direct airflow to your desired direction thus, making it efficient
- Has adjustable thermostat
- A tip-over protection and overheat auto shut off that protect you from any accidents
- Saves space since it can be mounted on the ceiling allowing you to make good use of your garage area
- Does not come with a power cord in the unit
- Requires complex hardwired installation which must be done by a professional electrician.
Dr. Heater DR966 Commercial Garage Heater heater will get you comfortable during winter. If you use your garage for other activities, you won’t have to stop in winter because of the risk of frostbite. This heater is safe and reliable and will help you save heating bills.
NewAir G73 is an ideal option for anyone looking for a durable portable garage heater for up to 750 square feet space. It has many impressive features that are necessary for any homeowner.
First, it comes with an inbuilt thermostat and automatically shuts off the heater once it has reached the desired temperature level. This enables you to control and prevent overheating of the appliance easily.
The NewAir G73 Garage Heater is tailored towards small garage space, shops and worksites. One of the things you’ll like about this unit is its ability to quickly and efficiently distribute enough heat for an area of up to 750 square feet quickly without costing so much.
However, it needs hardwired installation done by a professional electrician, and this may give you an extra expenditure.
NewAir G73 Features
- Built-in thermostat
- Covers 750sq-ft
- Weighs 15lbs
- Needs 30 amp circuits for setup
- Has UC and CUL certifications
- Hardwired installation
- Adjustable louvers
- Wall mountable
- Automatic shut off
- Carrying handle
Warm up to 750square feet
The G73 heater can warm up to 750square feet efficiently with 5000watts and 240 volts without having to spend so much.
Safe to work with
It is a safe heater to operate since it’s UL certified and you know it meets electrical safety. It also has automatically shut off to prevent overheating when the desired temperature level is reached.
Unlike natural gas or propane garage heaters, you don’t have to worry about toxic fumes from propane or gas fuel.
The built-in thermostat helps in accurately controlling the temperature in your working area
Ceiling or wall-mounted
This keeps the heater out of the way to prevent accidents and leaves more space in case you have other needs for your garage.
- Has built-in thermostat that aids in protecting against overheating
- Comes with mount bracket unit to mount on ceiling or wall safely away from children and pets
- The durability of stainless steel feature protects against rust
- UC and CUL listed confirms a safe operation
- Requires hardwired installation into electricity supply and this needs a professional electrician
In summary, this heater is one of the safest and trusted in the market by many customers. It is efficient enough to serve you on cold winter days by spreading warmth quickly and evenly.
DIMPLEX DGWH4031 electrical heater has powerful capabilities suitable for your garage or working area. With 240 volts and 4000watts, it is capable of providing 13,640BTUs heating power even for a large area.
It is famous for its durability, impressive performance, and economical usage. It also features automatic temperature control settings. This will help you tune heating performance to your desired needs. This heater is one of the best options in the market suitable for garage, basement or workshop use.
Sadly, Dimplex DGWH 4031’s high performance also comes with a price to pay. It’s very noisy and can shake the room if it’s an enclosed small space, but you can put up with the noise you will enjoy an exceptional heating experience without having to dig deep into your pocket.
Features of Dimplex DGWH4031
- stainless steel
- 13,640 BTUs heat output
- safety auto shut off
- ceiling mounting bracket
- has a pivot feature that enables it to swivel and provide targeted heating.
- covers 700 square feet
Dimplex DGWH 4031 has a pivoting head that helps target heat to the desired direction thus increasing efficiency. It is also a very powerful heater with 4000watts and 13,640 BTUs which improve efficiency.
DIMPLEX DGWH 4031 Electric Garage Heater includes a built-in thermostat to help control the temperature in your environment. The fact that it has a mounting bracket you can be able to keep it away from children and pets. It also has an auto safety shut off mechanism.
When it comes to cost, the Dimplex 4031 heaters also helps you to save some dollars. Its fan delayed feature only allows the fan to kick after it has reached a certain temperature thus enabling it to keep your room warm with residual heat from stainless steel.
- No emission of harmful carbon gases
- It is easy to set up especially where there are already plug-in outlets
- Has mounting brackets
- Stainless steel ensures a rust-free appliance hence durability
- Has thermostat that enables automatic temperature control
- Fan delay feature that ensures economic performance
- Has a very powerful heater of 13,640BTUs and 4000watts
- According to consumer reviews, this heater has great performance
- Does not have remote control in case you wanted to mount it on the ceiling
- Has a higher price compared to other models
This must be your perfect choice if you are looking for an affordable, clean and durable electric garage heater. With its included mounting bracket, you won’t have to be worried about the safety of your children and pets.
Buying an electric heater is a long-term and worthwhile investment, and since Comfort Zone is an affordable and effective heater, it is absolutely a perfect option for garage heating.
This heater comes with an all heavy steel body that assures durability and efficiency. It has adjustable louvers that help you direct heat to your desired direction.
Thermostat control makes it easy for you to set your preferred temperature level without worrying about overheat. Plus, it comes with a safety auto shut off feature which prevents accidents by automatically cutting off power in case of overheat.
Like every other electric heater, there are always drawbacks, and a major one for this is its high energy use that will make you pay more on the electricity bill. However, besides the high electricity bills, this heater does a great job and will undoubtedly keep you warm during cold winter days.
- Stainless steel
- Hardwired 208 or 240volts
- Safety auto shut off
- Adjustable thermostat
- Fan forced technology
- Adjustable louvers
- Ceiling or wall mounting bracket
- All steel construction
- 3 heat settings
- has indicator lights to caution you on power
- Heavy gauge steel body
- Covers 1000 square feet
- Mounting brackets
This heater gives you no reason to worry since it comes with an auto safety shut off valve that cuts power off in case it overheats. Plus the mounting bracket feature will enable you to keep it out of the way thus preventing accidents at home.
7500watts gives this heater power to cover up to 1000 square feet
They make this heater user-friendly since you can direct heat to any direction you want.
3 heat settings
The three heat settings enable you set up the heat levels according to your needs with the aid of an adjustable thermostat.
Caution indicator lights
The indicator lights caution you on power in case of overheat.
Removable front grill
This front grill is removed to enable cleaning of the grill
- Has auto shut off system in case it overheats or tips over
- It has excellent performance according to customer reviews
- Easy to install and set up
- Adjustable thermostat with three heat settings
- Has enclosed motor useful in harsh conditions
- Has indicator lights which caution you on power
- Overheat protection system for safety
- Easy to clean because it has a removable front grill
- Saves floor space since it comes with mounting bracket
- Fan forced technology allows warmth to cover a large area
- Customers have complained that it is noisy
- Does not have a remote control which would help if mounted on the wall or ceiling
Comfort Zone Electric Industrial Heater is energy-efficient and features adjustable louvers and three heat settings. It’s also durable with an all steel construction. The removable front grill lets you clean the heater with a lot of ease. The unit also has incredibly powerful heating that covers up to 1000 square feet.
This is one of the finest heaters on the market right now and it is suitable for large areas or commercial buildings, including shops and garages. If you are looking for a powerful and portable garage heater for space of up to 600 square feet, then King KBP2406 Single Phase Paw Unit Heater has you covered.
With 13000 BTUs heat output, this heater can heat large spaces of up to 600 square feet quickly and evenly.
Although it’s highly-priced, you will enjoy a great heating experience within your garage, workshop or basement. Plus, it has a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty which proves that it’s a quality product to invest in.
- Built-in thermostat
- Auto safety shut off
- Universal mounting bracket
- UL listed for safe and efficient operation
- Long warranty of 5 years
- 13000BTUs heat output
- 24 pounds
- Stainless steel
A 5-year manufacturer’s warranty is a testament to the product’s value.
With 13000BTUs heat output, this heater is efficient to heat up large space areas quickly.
All steel construction
This means the heat is indeed durable and is going to serve your needs for a long time.
It comes with an auto shut off valve to cut of power in the event of overheat. The mounting bracket also makes it possible to mount it on the ceiling or wall away from the floor where it can cause accidents.
- A very powerful heater that produces a lot of heat on a large area
- Warms up its environment quickly with little noise and air turbulence
- Three heat settings to set your desired temperature level
- Built-in thermostat to control your temperature according to your desired needs
- All steel construction and housing hence assured durability
- auto shut off valve that provides safety in case of overheating
- 5-year manufacturer’s warranty is a sure proof of the appliance’s quality
- Mounting bracket on the ceiling or wall thus leaving space for other uses
- No power cord
- Does not have a remote control in case you’re using it on the ceiling
- A bit expensive
You may be discouraged by its price, but by now you can agree that it is a product worth spending top dollar on. The 5-year warranty and heat output of 13000BTUs are features which are hard to find. You are going to enjoy its ability to heat your garage or workshop area quickly and evenly. Its installation is easy and only requires less than 30 minutes to run.
Dr. Infrared garage heater DR-988 is one of the well-known industrial heaters in the market currently. This device is indeed a good pick for any homeowner with a relatively large space and varied needs.
It is suitable for use in workshops, garage, construction sites and basements. You will like its impressive heat output of 19,000BTUs that will pretty much satisfy your needs.
The device comes with a portable design that will cater to your semi-outdoor environment in case you wanted to position it there. The manufacturer also considered safety thanks to the in-built thermostat which automatically controls the temperature level of the device.
However, just like other infrared garage heaters on the market, it has its downside. The heater does not come with remote control, so you have to operate it manually. It’s also a bit expensive, but then its performance is worth the price.
- weighs 20.5 pounds
- 19,000 BTUs heat output
- built-in adjustable thermostat
- 5600 watts-240 watts
- safety auto shut off system
- stainless steel
- handle included
- heats 600 square feet
- Two heat settings
Built-in thermostat automatically controls the temperature up to 95 degrees Fahrenheit. It also has auto shut off feature that will cut off power in case of overheating. A handle is included to give you the ease of carrying it and prevent burning your hands at the same time if you want to transport when it is on.
Powerful heat output
Has an incredible 19,000 BTUs heat output, it is undoubtedly one of the best electric heaters on the market
It comes with a durable, stainless steel design that is built for long-term needs. You will enjoy many years of quality performance which is worth its price.
The cost is high, but as they say, you get what you have paid for since its performance is excellent.
- The built-in fan provides exceptional circulation
- It is for both outdoor and semi-outdoor use making it a great choice for garage, worksites, sheds and warehouse
- Quiet compared to other industrial heaters
- UL and CUL listed thus meets safety guidelines for electrical appliance
- Able to heat across a large room
- Stainless steel durable design
- Electric powered heater making it safer than the gas-powered ones
- Has thermostat control that helps you set temperature levels to suit your needs
- Has a continuously running fan that aids in heating up to 600 square feet
- You have to operate it manually because it does not come with a remote control
- Some consumers do not like its color, colored red
- A bit expensive
In summary, this particular device is excellent for any homeowner that is looking for an efficient, safe and durable heating appliance for their garage. The price tag might be hefty, but the device will meet your warmth expectations. The Dr. Infrared DR-988 Garage Shop Heater is therefore worth buying and a top pick for many users.
Farhrenheat FUH 724 commercial electric heater is suitable for your garage, workshop or basement. It is a recommended purchase for anyone looking for a durable, safe and economical electric heater for their garage use.
A mounting bracket that allows you to mount it on the ceiling or the wall is included, therefore saving you some space for other purposes. This feature also improves the safety of your family safety especially if you have small children and pets that may be curious. Plus it has an auto shut off feature that that will cut off power in case of overheating. It is also cost-effective compared to its high performance.
The heater, however, does not come with remote control and you will be forced to operate it manually if mounted on the ceiling or the wall.
- Safety auto shut off
- Ceiling mounting bracket
- Stainless steel
- 7 pounds
- 25, 600 watts heat output
- covers up to 1300 square feet
- Epoxy painted housing and stainless steel built that ensures a long term last.
- Powerful heater
- 7500watts and 25,600 BTUs heat that will ensure your home is warm however cold it can be outside
The built-in thermostat to controls the temperature level and an automatic shut off feature in case it overheats. Also comes with a mounting bracket that will enable you to keep it away from the floor.
- Affordable and efficient
- All steel construction ensuring durability
- Low power usage
- Since its electric, it is safer than the gas options
- Thermostat for temperature control
- Auto shut off feature
- Has adjustable louvers to direct heat to desired area
- Easy installation since you only need to plug it into an existing outlet
- It does not come with a remote control which can be helpful if mounted on the ceiling.
If you are looking for the best heavy-duty industrial type of heater, then look no further than Farhrenheat FUH 724 heater. Its stainless steel feature will keep it running for a long time. So go and grab your Farhrenheat FUH Ceiling Mount Industrial Heater today because it is going to serve your heating needs at an affordable price.
The Prowarm industrial heater is a perfect choice if durability and convenience are your purchasing factors. This heater is appropriate if you want to warm small rooms spaces. It’s energy-efficient and puts out a lot of heat faster.
It comes with a remote control, ensuring you can easily operate it from anywhere in the room. The mounting bracket enables you to mount it on your ceiling or wall away from the way.
This saves your space for other things and protects small children, pets and other people from accidents. Thermostat control is included to help you control the temperature to desired levels.
However, it can be loud and shake up the room, but this is a problem with most electric heaters.
- Auto shut off for overheat protection
- 17,000 BTUs
- covers 100-120 square feet heating area
- Remote control
- 3 heat setting that is high, low heat and fan only
- Appropriate for heating small spaced rooms
- Mounting bracket
- This heater comes with a mounting bracket that will allow you to mount it on the ceiling or the wall
- Thermostat control
- This will allow you to control the temperature levels according to your needs.
- Remote control
- Comes with a remote control that will help you operate it from any direction in your garage
- Stainless steel construction
- This ensures durability since it protects against rust
- Has a special motor that enables strong wind flow
- Comes with a handle for portability
- Can be very loud
With the outlined pros and cons, you can tell that the shortcomings are minimal therefore a testament to a tremendous electric heater. Grab your Prowarm Electric Forced Air Industrial Heater today to enjoy the great features it possesses.
Patton puh680-N-U will give you an exceptional heating experience. It is suitable for use in your garage, workshop, basement or job site on cold days. It is an easy to use and reliable heater that will give you value for your money.
This heater possesses adjustable heat settings, front guards and auto shut off feature for safety. It comes with a fan-forced heat technology that will warm up your room quickly by sucking in cold air and releasing it after it’s warmed up. The heater also has all metal construction and sturdy that will ensure durability for several years.
Sadly, this heater can be very noisy and cause vibrations. But, if you can put up with the noise since most electrical heaters are noisy, then you will definitely love its great features.
- 1500 watts heat output
- Stainless steel
- Safety auto shut off
- Front guards
- Automatic thermostat
- Carry handle
- Fan forced technology
- 2 heat settings, high and low
- Mounting bracket
- Has power light
Has automatic thermostat to control temperature levels and auto shut off feature in case it overheats. Also comes with a front guard safety feature that protects against burns.
Makes portability possible and easy to carry to your job site without burning yourself
Included 2 heat settings, high 1500 and low 1000watts improves its efficiency.
Utilizes the fan-forced heat technology to warm up a room quickly. The fan draws the cold air in, warms it and blows it into the room. However, if you are using a small room, this fan-forced heater can pull the air out making the room stuffy.
- Auto shut off feature for safety protection
- Carrying handle for portability.
- Being an electric heater, it is safer than gas
- Affordable garage heater
- Sturdy metal housing
- Does not require complex installation like other electric heater, you just plug it into existing outlet using power cord and you are good to go.
- Automatic thermostat feature
- It is noisy and can cause vibrations
- Some customers have complained of unreliable auto shut off safety feature
The Patton PUH680-N-U Milk-House Utility Heater is a worthy investment for those looking for a convenient, easy to use and affordable heater. Whether you are in the garage or working at your worksite, you can be able to transport it with ease and continue enjoying the warmth. Remember, this heater is only suitable for those with small space needs. You can also check out best waste oil burning heater for garage.
I hope that this review for the best portable garage heater has opened your eyes, and you probably considered some of these options. Always make sure you know the size of your garage. That way you’ll be able to choose the right unit. If not, you’ll either select a small or large unit which is not a good thing.
A small or large garage heater will use a lot of energy without really keeping the space warm enough. Also, make sure you consider safety when using a space heater in your garage. The options I have reviewed are all electric heaters, so make sure it’s placed in the right position.
Jesse Pinkman is a passionate HVAC professional writer who grew up repairing any home appliance on which he could lay his hands. He is responsible for ensuring that every article we publish is SPOT ON. When he’s not in the office, he enjoys hiking, watching football, and spending time with his family.