Are you interested in buying the best heaters for large rooms to keep your space warm and comfy this winter?
Fortunately, you have landed on the right website.
In this review, we have reviewed the best space heaters for large rooms. You’ll find different types of electric heaters for various purposes, whether it’s heating your living room, garage, basement, or any other large space.
There are also factors that you have to consider when choosing the best heater for large room. If you want to know more about the things that matter when buying a heater, check out our buying guide section. However, the comparison table below has all the details you need to for each product.
Large Room Space Heater Comparison Table
Last update on 2020-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What Are Space Heaters for Large Rooms?
A large room space heater can heat between 800 and 1000 square feet of a room. However, there are different requirements for every type of heater. For example, a standard electric space heater requires 1500 watts to heat a 150 square feet room while a propane space heater will need 9,000 BTUs. Ideally, you will need a 10,000-watts space heater to heat up to 1,000 square feet room, which is a very large room.
How Do Space Heaters Work?
Space heaters are commonly used to heat smaller rooms, such as the bedroom, office space, or the living room. Space heaters are divided into two categories – the fuel-powered space heater and the electric-powered space heater.
Electric-powered heaters convert electric currents to heat through a process called Joule heating. However, some electric-powered space heaters will use an in-built fan to distribute heat evenly in the heating room.
Gas heaters are normally used as a backup plan because they can distribute heat even when short of electric power supply. Gas heaters should be installed from outside, except if you have a ventless gas heater, to avoid inhaling the carbon monoxide emission.
How to Use Large Room Space Heaters Efficiently
Electric heaters are expensive, and as such, you need to make sure that you are using it efficiently. So how can you use large room space heaters efficiently?
Turn down your central heat source if you only have one room occupied for more than two hours. Also, you can heat different rooms at intervals. For example, heat your bedroom at night, your home office during the day, and your living room in the evenings.
Alternatively, you can also leverage your space heater’s timer to avoid leaving your unit on when you aren’t using it. Most people prefer the 12-hour timer, which you can program to turn on before you wake up every day.
How Much Space Will a Large Room Space Heater Heat?
Large room space heaters are best-rated for 800-1,000 square feet rooms. If you’re using an electric large room space heater, the 1500 watts is a good bet. For propane heaters, the 9,000 BTUs is a good option.
And as for the question – “how much space does a large room heater heat?” The answer will vary depending on the manufacturer. However, this heater provides supplemental heating of up to 1,000 square feet of insulated space.
Usually, a standard space heater exhibits an approximate of 1’500 watts or 5,100 BTUs, which means that a standard size is energy-efficient for rooms with 144 square feet.
Meanwhile, below are our recommendations for the best heaters for large rooms:
- LifeSmart Large Room Infrared Quartz Fireplace.
- Cadet Com-Pak Twin 4000W Large Room Electric Wall Heater.
- Dr. Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater 1500-Watt.
How Much Space Will a Large Room Heater With High Heating Capacity Heat?
As a rule, it takes 10 watts of heating power to heat each square foot in the room. This means that a 1,500-watt heater can primarily heat up to 150 square feet. However, if the heater is used to provide supplemental heat, the chances are that it will heat a larger area than when used as the primary source of heat.
What Are the Benefits of Space Heaters?
While most people think that large room space heaters are only meant for bigger rooms, there’s more to that. These heaters can also come in handy for areas such as:
- Living rooms and TV rooms where people are widely-spaced
- Large bedrooms when the primary heating source is turned down for the night
- Rooms with poor insulation
- Rooms away from the primary heating source that aren’t sufficiently heated
- Small apartments and townhouses with an open floor plan
- Small bungalows with open floor plans
- Small additions when you don’t intend for the expense of a separate heat pump or furnace
- Extra rooms above garages as they are often poorly heated
- Cabins and small vacation homes
- Chilly and damp unfinished basements
- Converted garages that don’t get supplies with the central heat
- Insulated garages and workshops
- Seasonal rooms when you want to use it more months of the year
- Large recreational vehicles or fifth wheelers.
Large Room Heater Reviews (Top Picks)
Top on our list is Dr. Infrared portable heater, a widely known unit on the market . If you want to warm rooms as large as 1000 sq. ft., then this is an ideal unit for you. The biggest advantage is you don’t have to worry about dry air because it has an in-built humidifier.
While the Dr. Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater with Humidifier looks like a large unit, it will not take up much of your living room space; it’s only 13×11 and has a height of 16 inches. It weighs 24 pounds and has caster wheels that make it easy to move from one room to another.
The safety of your home and people who will be using the heaters is something that we can’t be stressed enough. This unit comes with tip-over protection, which automatically shuts off in case it gets knocked over. It also one of the best space heaters with thermostats that are reliable.
For user convenience, this wooden and vintage-looking heater has an infrared remote control and utilizes a ball bearing high-pressure blower, which distributes the warm air across the room without making noise. The blowers are high capacity and ideal for large rooms because they enhance the warming rate and provide a seamless flow of heat.
The heater has a provision for high, low, and auto power settings, which enables the user to customize the heat emitted and the desired temperature.
- Has an in-built humidifier
- Takes up less space
- Tip-over and overheat protection.
- Has adjustable power settings (high, low, and auto).
- Has an IR remote control
- It’s easily movable thanks to the caster wheels
- It cannot be mounted
- Expensive for the average income earner
- It can eat a lot of your energy especially if you use all the features at the same time
The DeLonghi EW7707CM is one of the best oil-filled space heaters. It’s a fairly large heater that weighs 25 pounds and measures 14 x 25 x 11 inches. While it’s powerful enough to large spaces, it performs efficiently if it is used to supplement the central heating system.
Like other high-end oil heaters, the inside of DeLonghi EW7707CM is designed to use patented thermal slots that are intended to maintain a low surface temperature and maximize heat flow at the same time. Seven fin-heating elements are filled with oil and sealed permanently to provide maximum heat.
On the control panel are three heat settings which are easy to use, and allow you to choose the amount of heat you want to be distributed in your room. The highest setting is 1500 watts, while the lowest setting is 700 watts. You can customize and maintain a specific room temperature using the accurate thermostat. This is usually a useful feature as it allows you to save energy, especially when your set temperature is reached.
Some customers have complained that DeLonghi EW7707CM performs poorly, especially if it’s used as the primary heating source. However, if you first use the central heating unit to warm the room, this heater does a great job of maintaining the desired temperature, minimizing your energy bills.
Moreover, since this is a large unit, it’s heavy, therefore tricky to move around. It gets very hot fast and might not be safe if you want to move it from one room to another. It would be better if it had two handles on both the front and back.
- Operates quietly
- Allows you to control temperature levels quite accurately
- Installed with wheels and a carrying handle
- Comes with a thermal cut-off safety feature to prevent overheating
- Gets very hot to the touch and maybe a fire hazard if left unattended
- It is impossible to locate the thermostat when it is dark or dimly lit
- The wheels are not well-built and seem like they might come off
- Does not have a timer
Characterized by a long sleek design, this is another space heater that has been designed by one of the prominent brands on the market. One of the conspicuous features is the streamlined body and oscillation, which are primarily intended to provide widespread heat coverage to warm the room gradually.
It is a user-friendly ceramic tower heater that comes with a lot of features, including control buttons and a digital display system at the top. The control buttons have different heat settings and timings. You can either use the manual settings or remote control to adjust the heat or set running time.
For safety purposes, this is one of the best ceramic space heaters with an automatic shut-off feature that turns it off in case of overheating. Besides, Lasko space heaters are easy to move around thanks to their lightweight design and carry handles.
The electronic timer is another attractive feature of this heater. For instance, if you only want a run-time of up to 8 hours, you can set the timer, and it will automatically shut down when this time is up. This feature makes it convenient for periodic room heating and helps cut down on power consumption.
Just like Delonghi space heater, the main shortcoming of the Lasko space heater is that its efficacy is limited to rooms of 300 sq. ft. and below
- Has an easy-to-operate control system
- Comes with a remote control
- Has an auto-shut down feature in case of overheating
- It is light-weight and easy to move around
- Has a carry handle
- Has an electronic timer
- The fan is relatively loud
- Emits a faint smell for a few minutes after turning it on
The Cadet Com-Pak Twin 4000W Large Room Electric Wall Heater is the perfect solution for large rooms, apartments, and offices. These types of heaters are designed to be installed through the walls, allowing you to save a lot of space on your floor that can be used for other gadgets.
This unit is powerful and heats rooms to 600 square feet. It has a 2-year warranty and ETL listed to UL standards. That means the relevant authorities have tested it, and you can be sure of its safety and efficiency.
While wall mounted electric heaters require ductwork, this unit comes with a wall can and grill for easy installation. And the grill needs to be only a few inches deep, and they should barely be protruding from your wall. Moreover, it comes in a smooth, durable finish and doesn’t have sharp edges. So instead of drawing people’s attention, it blends with your decor.
Most wall heaters usually don’t have an inbuilt thermostat. The Cadet Com-Pak Twin is an exception because it gives you two options. You can choose one without a thermostat or one with an integrated thermostat with a temperature range of 40˚F to 85˚F for easy heat adjustment as well as a 60-minute timer for quick warmth.
This heater is built with safety in mind. It comes with a high-temperature safety shutoff feature, so you can rest easy when using the heater and not worry about overheating and causing a fire.
- Works great for large rooms
- Easy and safe to install
- It is a quiet heater
- It is a popular in-wall heater which does not require installing any duct-work
- Contains in-built safeguards that automatically shut off in case it overheats
- It has a faulty switch that goes bad in short periods of time.
- Poor customer service and feedback
- Poor thermostat assembly in the device.
If you are looking for an infrared electric fireplace heater with good flame effects and well above average heating capability, then Lifesmart Large Room Infrared Quartz Fireplace is a good fit for you. This unit is designed to heat larger spaces of up to 1,000 square feet, which makes it powerful than standard electric fireplaces that can warm only 400 square feet spaces.
This is one of the best infrared space heaters that has received a lot of positive reviews on Amazon, not only because of it’s realistic-looking fire animation but also because it offers users the ability to practice zone heating.
It produces heat through the use of infrared technology which is an efficient and faster way to heat a room. Such types of heaters heat objects directly in front of them without warming the air molecules. When the object has accumulated enough heat, it then radiates it to surrounding objects, and within a short time, the whole room is warmed and comfortable to be in.
It comes with 3 different settings for adjusting the intensity level of flames and brightness. Remote control that allows you to set the temperature to a level you feel comfortable is available. You can also take advantage of the 12-hour timer to set the unit to run within a specified time-frame. When the time lapses, the heater will automatically switch off. Another great thing about this heater is that you don’t have to worry about running a humidifier as it doesn’t leave the air dry.
There is a gorgeous oak mantle that surrounds the fireplace, making it a beautiful addition to any room. Despite its solid construction, it’s a free-standing unit with caster wheels that make it easy to move from room to another.
- Uses infrared heating technology which warms rooms faster and more efficient.
- It doesn’t dry the air so no need for a humidifier — an excellent option for those suffering from the common cold or allergies.
- It comes with a remote control which allows you to adjust the setting from the comfort of your seat.
- It’s a small electric fireplace, and you can’t depend on it as the primary source of heat for large rooms
- It comes with a short power cord which makes it difficult to position and maintain the recommended 3 feet distance
If there’s one heater that is designed with safety, convenience, and performance in mind, then it’s the DeLonghi TRD0715T.
This well-known low wattage heater can heat a room of up to 300 sq. ft. With three heat settings plus an adjustable thermostat, you can set the heat to your desired temperatures depending on your needs.
The heater has a sleek, stylish design, which is a significant feature that makes it stand out from many other models available in the market. Therefore, it will not only provide comfort during the cold winter season, but it will also be an attractive addition to your room.
Positioning is never easy with other space heating units. However, you have two options when it comes to positioning the DeLonghi TRD0715T – on the floor or mounting on the walls. From either of these positions, the heater will still serve its purpose, which is keeping your room warm. And even if you need to move it from one place to another, all you have to do is unplug it and move it around using the casters attached to its base.
Other special features of the DeLonghi TRD0715T are the thermal cut-off that prevents overheating. However, if it overheats, there’s an internally built tip-over switch that produces a buzzing sound as a means of notifying you of any instability. For more convenience, you can also take advantage of the programmable timer, which allows you to heat a room within a particular time frame. When the timer is up, the heater automatically shuts off. This means you can set the timer to turn the unit on/off if you are away from home, so you can enter your house when it is already warmed up.
One of the issues with this heater is the faint noise it produces. This might not be noticeable in some rooms, but if you have a quiet place or environment, you’ll likely hear the sound. Also, the DeLonghi TRD0715T cannot efficiently warm rooms larger than 300 sq. ft.
- Can stand alone or be mounted on the wall
- Has an LED Digital control
- Beautiful, sleek design
- Has a two-fan system which enhances heat distribution
- Is fitted with a thermal cut-off and tip-over protection to ensure safety in case of overheating
- Produces some noise easily noticeable in a quiet room
Winter comes with many things, and power outages that go for several days is 23ewds45rfcrvd one of them. If you want to have an emergency heater for those unpredictable winter months, nothing can keep you comfortable than the Sengoku CV-2230 KeroHeat indoor heater.
Because it runs on kerosene, you can save a lot on your energy bills, especially if you’re using it to supplement your central heating system. Also, it can put out a lot of heat fast, it’s the best kerosene heater for rooms up to 2,5000 sq. Ft. You can also rely on this heater to heat up your garage or basement even when it’s 15 degrees outside.
It comes with a tanker that has a capacity of around 2 gallons of kerosene, and this makes it an economical heater because, on a full tank, it can heat your house for 12 hours straight. So as long as you have kerosene, you don’t have to worry about the cold winter nights. Furthermore, the tank is removable, which make it easy to refill., You don’t have to worry about cleaning because a siphon pump is included.
The Sengoku CV-2230 KeroHeat indoor heater is very easy and safe to use. Like most heaters that use kerosene, it has an automatic shut off and a safety grille. This means it will automatically shut off if it gets too hot or accidentally tipped. Besides, you don’t need any matches or electricity to start the fire – it has an automatic ignition switch. The heater has features that can help it detect any changes in the oxygen levels in a room and automatically shut off if the levels go down to dangerous levels. It has a broad and stable base which makes it steady on its own.
One of the things we don’t like about this heater is that it produces some odor, and that can be an issue for some people. If you are among such people, Sengoku Keroheat heater may not be the product for you. Moving it around can be a tiring task; this is because the handle does not feel strong enough to support it, especially when it’s on a full tank.
- A suitable heater for places with no electricity or emergency space heating needs
- Has a stable set-up
- Fitted with an auto-ignition
- Has an auto-shutoff in case oxygen levels go dangerously low
- Efficiently warms large rooms of 480sq. ft
- It is portable and can be moved between different spaces
- Produces a faint odor while burning kerosene
- Not easy to move around while in full tank
8. Mr. Heater F27130 Forced Air Propane Heater – Best Space Heater for a Large Drafty Room
It’s always challenging to warm large drafty rooms in our workplaces. The solution to this problem is a space heater with high heating capacity such as Mr. Heater 125,000 BTU Forced Air Propane Heater F271390.
This is the best forced air propane heater that is intended primarily for commercial and industrial use. However, it can be used in residential spaces where there is plenty of ventilation.
Mr. Heater 125,000 BTU Forced Air Propane Heater F271390 has a powerful fan that can move hot air at a rate of 300 cubic feet per minute. As an electric fan heater, it can efficiently distribute an optimal amount of heat for an area up to 1350 square feet in size to promote comfortable working conditions.
With an ultra-flexible design, this unit can distribute large amounts of heat as per your needs right in the spot where you most need it. You can take advantage of the knob to select the between the two heat settings. The low setting produces up to 30,000 BTUs of heat per hour while the high setting generates 60,000 BTUs of heat every hour. It also has a second knob that lets you alter the angle of the unit to distribute the air in the direction you desire.
This heater comes with a standard 20-pound barbecue tank that can provide heat for 7 to 14 hours depending on the temperature setting. That means this unit is efficient and you can heat your room with just one tank of liquid propane gas. You can choose a sizeable 100-pound propane tank which can last for 35 to 70 hours. An easy-to-connect regulator and hose come with the heater.
This unit is easy to transport from one room to another. It only weighs 14.09 pounds and has an ergonomic carrying handle at the top. The heater is compact at 19-5/16 inches in length by 8-1/4 inches in width by 15-3/16 inches in height.
- Efficient forced-air design
- Hours of use on a single tank
- Instant heat can be produced
- No carbon-monoxide hazards
- Continuous variable heat control
- Automatic shut-off safety feature
- Easy to use, easy to install
- Compact and easy to transport
- Adjustable heat action
- Requires good ventilation
- Can be costly if continuously used (uses propane quickly)
- Not ideal for individuals who work with sawdust
9. Duraflame Infrared Quartz – Best Space Heater for Large Room with High Ceilings
If you want a heater that not only provides warmth to your living space but also gives you a realistic fire effect, Duraflame Infrared Quartz is the right product for you. The company values this product that they have offered 20,000 hours lifetime heating guarantee.
Moreover, With five colors to choose from, you don’t have to worry about your interior decor – you’ll always find a color that matches it. Duraflame is ideal for large rooms, including living rooms and dining rooms.
As one of the top-rated infrared heaters, its design allows it to produce a 3D fire flame effect that not only gives brightness but also helps create a real fire ambience. It has 5 adjustable brightness settings which you use to customize the look of your flames to show up behind, in between or front of the logs. The light makes the heater a perfect accessory for any interior decor. The dangling flames can be adjusted to match your preferred color, speed, and brightness.
The Duraflame Quartz Stove is the best heater for spaces up to 1000 square feet. The heater emits warmth in a natural way that heats areas without interfering with the natural humidity and atmosphere; the result is a comfortable and healthy indoor environment.
Operating the heater is easy and convenient as it comes with a remote control which allows you to adjust the temperatures easily, flame set the timer and power it on or off at will and without moving an inch. Like other modern space heaters for large rooms, safety has been taken into account; the outside of the Duraflame Infrared quartz remains cool even when it is running, this makes it safe to use in an environment that has kids or pets moving around.
To prevent overheating, this heater utilizes an automatic shut off which helps maintain safety and avoid damages. The only main shortcoming of the Duraflame space heating stove is that it does not operate without the glowing logs or the fire effect.
- The 3D flame helps create a beautiful ambience
- Has a remote control
- Has fans that distribute warmth evenly
- Remains cool on the outside
- Conveniently heats space of up to 1000sq. Ft.
- Has an overheat protector.
- Cannot operate without producing the glowing effect
The Vornado MVH Vortex Heater is a versatile and compact unit that provides excellent heating results. Despite being small in size, it can efficiently keep large spaces warm.
If you already have a central heating system, then this would be a cost-effective way to heat specific rooms, especially those that take a long time to heat. You can also use it to warm small spaces for a few people, like the bedroom or basement.
Just by unboxing this unit, you can quickly realize that it’s ready to go. It has three different adjustable heat settings, which you can use to set the heat flow depending on how fast you want to heat the room. The heater can run on 750W, 1125W, or 1500W. There is also a thermostat for a good level of custom comfort. The automatic shut-off and tip-over protection ensure that your safety is not compromised.
For successful operation and maximum comfort, you must place this unit facing out from the corner of your room as well as allow enough space for the room’s other corner. Because it doesn’t have oscillation features, removing obstacles in front and around this unit will ensure that the heat is evenly distributed across the room and not only areas in front or close to the heater.
Regardless of whether the heater is running or not, it retains a cool outer case which makes it one of the best safe space heaters to use around other items or even kids. The outer casing is also beautiful and can spice up the walls of your space, while at the same time keeping your room warm. It is designed with fans that swiftly and uniformly distribute warm temperatures across a room.
Moving it around is easy and stress-free because it is light-weight, compact, and can be positioned just about anywhere. The small size is ideal for occupied rooms, and the light-weight makes it easy to be mounted. The Vornado MVH comes with a 5-year warranty, which guarantees users of its reliability.
On the downside, this heater can interfere with the cool and quiet of a room. The fans emit a noise that is easily detected.
- Has 3 adjustable heat settings
- Outer casing remains cool whether it’s running or not
- Evenly distributes warm temperatures
- Fitted with tip-over protection
- Light-weight and small in size
- Has a 5- year warranty
- Its fans produce a faint noise
Buying Guide For Best Indoor Heaters For Large Rooms
With so many space heater models available on the market – each promising excellent features and functionality – settling on the most appropriate one can be a daunting affair.
After all, you don’t want to spend your money on a unit that will not offer what the manufacturer promises.
The following are important guidelines that should help you select the best indoor heaters for large rooms. Make sure you consider your budget as well the specific features you want your unit to have.
- The general design of the heater. How compatible is it with your target space?
- The cost of the heater. Is it within your budget? If yes, how about the maintenance costs that will come along after purchasing it, for instance, electricity bills, kerosene and so on.
- The size of the heater. How big or small is it?
- The technology that the heater is operating on. Is it user-friendly or not? Can you smoothly run the gadget?
- Does the device have safety and hazard control features such as the auto-shutdown or auto-regulator?
- How safe is the heater in your desired space, will it inconvenience your general lifestyle, or will it augment it?
Factors to Consider when Shopping for Best Large Room Space Heater
1. Heater Type
Selecting the right type of heater can mean a lot of things – you stay comfortable during the cold winter months as well as save a lot on your energy bills.
To decide on what type will be best suited for your room, you need to be aware of the three standard technologies that every electric heater must fall under – radiant, connective, and micathermic.
For uniform, whole room heating, go for convection heaters. If you want quick, zone heating, especially small spaces, stick with infrared heaters. For fast, widespread heat, go for micathermic heaters.
Apart from heating technology, you want to consider heater positioning. Since space heaters work best as supplemental heating systems in small, confined spaces, it’s important to decide how and where you want to place it.
Not all space heaters can be placed on the floor. Some can be hung on a wall with brackets while others can be recessed into the wall. So, choose where it will be most useful. If you want to spend time in your patio, then you can also choose the best outdoor heaters.
2. Heating Capacity
This is basically the size of the room you want to cool vis-a-vis the heater wattage rating. From the models we have reviewed, some heater had more heating power than others. If you want to avoid buying the wrong item, it is important that you carefully assess and measure the size of the space that the heater is going to keep warm. Every heater will always indicate the amount of space it can cool, so it helps to know the size of your room.
The real reason why people prefer space heaters is that they are cheap and offer low heating cost compared to central heating systems.
The type of space heater and the size of your room will determine if you’ll save energy or not. Most of the portable electric heaters, if used appropriately, can lower your heating cost. You can calculate how much you’ll spend running your heater from this post.
Also, look for special features, such as energy-saving modes, adjustable thermostats, and programmable timers which are designed to help minimize power usage and make your operation economical.
4. Safety Features
While space heaters are a valuable investment, they can quickly turn into fire hazards if not appropriately monitored. Therefore, it’s wise to take the safety of your home very seriously if you’re using any electric heater.
One important thing you have to do to reduce the risk of heater accidents is to follow manufacturers guidelines. Contemporary electric heaters have also been equipped with advanced safety features.
Some features like automatic shut-off and overheating protection will ensure your operation is secure. In case of overheating or someone accidentally tips or knocks down the unit, they will automatically turn the heater off. So make sure you choose a gadget with these features.
This can greatly help if you have pets or kids around. To be sure about the type of heater you need to choose, check our review for the best kid-safe space heaters.
5. Noise Level
While we all want to stay warm during the cold winter nights, nobody would want it at the expense of your sleep. All electric heating systems produce some noise when doing their jobs. And space heaters are no exception.
Some models are louder than others. If you’re looking for a quiet environment when running your heater, go for baseboard or oil-filled heaters. They are ultra-quiet, you won’t notice they are switched on.
What Are the Cheapest Types of Heaters to Run
Ceramic space heaters are equipped with ceramic plates attached to metal coils. As such, they run on electricity.
Electric currents pass through the coils and heat the ceramic plates. The ceramic plates absorb electrical heat and eventually release the heat into the atmosphere. Also, the heating process is always instant, so it will take less time for the ceramic heater to deliver heat.
- The ceramic space heater is compact
- Heats instantly
- You can oscillate the heat
- The ceramic plates take time to cool after being turned off
- Includes safety features like cool-to-the-touch housing
- This space heater is portable
- Some incorporate a digital thermostat.
- The ceramic heater is ideal for smaller areas
- Ceramic heaters without a fan exhibit a slow heating
- Most of them aren’t energy-efficient as they constantly run to deliver heat.
- Physical objects can prevent heat transfer.
Oil-filled space heaters are portable heat devices that run on electricity. They are also known as radiator heaters because they very much resembled the traditional radiator heaters. An oil-filled heater has the diathermic oil, which heats up before circulating through the fins.
Heat is released into the air once the fins are hot, and the temperatures have risen. It is also important to note that you cannot use a fan in these heaters because oil-filled heaters use an internal fluid to release heat into the air.
- Offers long-lasting heaters even when your heater is off
- You don’t have to continuously run this heater to get heat, thus very efficient
- Some oil-filled space heaters may come with a digital thermostat
- It has wheels, which makes it easily portable.
- You can’t control the speed of the heater
- It’s not possible to heat larger rooms. The maximum space you can heat is 150 square feet
- Your rooms can get extremely hot because you can’t control the speed of the heater
- This heater is heavier compared to other types of heaters. It weighs between 16 and 20 pounds
- You can’t oscillate the heat.
An infrared heater is electricity-powered but works completely different compared to a fan or ceramic heater. An infrared heater heats a space by releasing electromagnetic waves. These electromagnetic waves will heat every single object in the room, hence warming up the room.
Infrared heaters don’t heat the air but the objects present in a room. That’s what differentiates them from most heaters. It is also important to note that infrared heaters are categorized into two – those with fans and those without. However, this heater does not need a fan to function.
- Does not heat the air but the objects
- Long-lasting heat even when the heater is turned off
- Some infrared heaters come in wooden designs
- Some infrared heaters will come with a digital thermostat
- Easily portable if it comes with wheels.
- Some are bulky
- One-directional heat
- Will need physical objects in the room you wish to warm
- More expensive than the fan and ceramic heaters.
Propane Space Heaters
If your priority in choosing a space heater is to save energy, propane space heaters are a good bet. This is because they use liquid propane (LP) as the power source to run their operations.
Propane space heaters are portable, so you can easily move around with them. Also, they aren’t limited by power cord constraints, so you can comfortably run them without electrical power.
Like infrared space heaters, propane space heaters emit electromagnetic waves into the atmosphere to deliver heat to the nearby objects. The only difference is that infrared space heaters use electricity to run, unlike propane space heaters that run on liquid propane to fuel its operations.
- Not limited to power code constraints
- Uses liquid propane to fuel its operations
- The most affordable option to consider
- Inexpensive to manage.
- While it uses liquid propane, you need to stock enough to keep the heat on the move
- It can easily cause fire and explosions due to flame and burning fuel
- Some propane heaters aren’t recommended for indoor use.
- Most of them emit carbon dioxide, so it would be best to work in a well-ventilated room.
Kerosene Space Heaters
Kerosene space heaters are suited for both indoor and outdoor uses. They are safer options than fueled space heaters. These heaters are easily portable, and you can move with them around if you need to. The best of all is that kerosene space heaters don’t need electricity to function, and that is why they are an excellent option if your electrical power goes out.
- Efficiently burns fuel
- Heats quickly
- Straightforward to use.
- It is a fire hazard
- Carbon monoxide can easily build up if your house is poorly ventilated.
Convection heaters rely entirely on the circulation of air within the room to heat a space. Air is blown over the heater, circulated and recirculated before the room can get warm.
- They are good options when you need to heat the whole room for a long time
- They can heat a space faster
- The heating elements can burn you if they get hot because other parts cover them
- They are way more affordable than radiant heaters.
- You will wait longer for a space to heat up if a cold draft comes into the heater.
- The convection heaters are at risk of overheating if the fans fail
- Objects in the room can block the circulation of air
- High loss of energy due to consistent pumping of hot air up the ceiling.
How to Power a Space Heater
You can power your space heater by plugging it into a power source. You can also measure the power of your heater in kilowatts to help you estimate your power consumption.
Large room Space Heater Safety Tips
Your safety is a critical aspect of your life. Therefore, safety should be a top priority when using space heaters. Below are some of the safety tips for enhancing your home safety when running space heaters:
- Plug directly into an outlet: Always plug a portable electric heater into an outlet with adequate power supply. By attaching an extension code to the power source, you’ll be encouraging overheating, fires, or even worse, electrical shock injuries.
- Keep heaters away from water: You probably know that water is a good conductor of electricity. Unless it’s designed for use in damp spaces, avoid using a heater in humid surfaces. Also, keep away from heaters if you’re wet or have wet hands, as this enhances the risk of electrical shock.
- Shut off and unplug if not in use: Like any other electric appliance, turn off the heater and unplug when not in use. Fortunately, tons of heaters automatically program on and off times should you forget to do so.
- Regular inspection and maintenance: Have your space heater regularly checked, especially upon purchasing it. Always clean and maintain your heater for efficiency. You can also wipe it to reduce the chances of dust and allergens in your space.
- Look for safety components, such as overheat protection, tip-over protection, and cool-touch housing.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Best Heaters for Large Rooms
What is a space heater?
A space heater can be defined as a device that is used to regulate the temperatures of a space, in this case boosting the warmth of your room like a bedroom, living room, basement, garage, etc. Many space heaters run by electricity, others are operated by other forms of fuel such as kerosene.
Is it safe to leave space heaters on and running?
No. It is always advisable to turn off a space heater off once you are leaving a room. Remember that leaving it unattended is a sure way of inviting fires or accidents. Also, it could expose children or pets to some danger should they get too close. More importantly, avoid using power strips or extensions which could cause a fire as a result of overheating.
Are space heaters safe to leave on overnight?
The answer to this depends on what’s going on through the night. If you are retiring to bed, then it’s only reasonable to switch off the heater. Leaving it on while asleep only exposes you to any potential risks as some heaters cause a drop in the oxygen levels in a room. On the other hand, if there will be someone awake, then a space heater can run for a whole night. For more information about space heater safety, check this article.
What is the most effective space heater?
For as long as a heater can convert the electricity it consumes into the warmth and distribute it evenly within the room, then it can be considered as effective. However, there are factors that you might want to consider such as warranty, heating capacity and the general look of the heater of choice.
What is the cheapest space heater to maintain?
The cost of running a space heater depends on the voltage/watts it requires to run and your local electricity rate. The higher the power consumed, the more expensive it is. That said, portable heaters tend to have the lowest power ratings and thus considered the cheapest to maintain.
Is infrared heating hazardous to your health?
Luckily for you, infrared heaters are very safe in your home. They have no emissions that may agitate the air in any manner whatsoever. Many are convectional, and this allows them to continually distribute the warmth around the room, this even distribution ensures that any harmful specs are broken down, which weakens them.
Do space heaters emit carbon monoxide?
Electrical heaters run on electricity, under no circumstances can they emit carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is only emitted by devices that burn fuel. So yes, your home is safe from any carbon monoxide poisoning unless you are using a space heater run by kerosene or any other fuel. If you want to heat an enclosed room without windows and want the safest option, you can check the best space heater for basement or space heater for the bathroom.
How Large a Room Will a 1500-Watt Heater Heat?
150 sq ft. For every square foot, you will need an average of 10 watts. That means that you can heat up to 150 square feet of a room with 1500 watts.
How to improve the efficiency of a space heater for a large room?
Close all the doors to prevent heat loss, and turn off your heater when not in use. You can also go for space heaters with thermostat settings to help you control the use. Program your heater only to run when you need it to by using a space heater timer.
Where to Place a Space Heater in a Large Room?
Place your space heater one or two feet away from the wall. Also, place your space heater in the space you want to heat. If you intend to heat spaces such as the hallway, go for space heaters designed for walls, such as Lasko room heaters.
How Much Electricity Does a Space Heater Use?
A space heater will need 1,500 watts to function according to Consumer Report fully. And because you should never power on your space heater when sleeping, you will use the heater for 16 hours, which translates to $2.82 every day.
Are Space Heaters For Large Rooms Energy-Efficient?
Yes, space heaters for large rooms are energy efficient because a standard space heater will need only 1,500 watts to power on. 1500 watts is enough to heat a 144 square feet room or house.
No single space heater can be termed as the best. The truth is a space heater is best if it matches your needs. With all the available heaters on the market, you can get one that is good for you, but you have to choose carefully. We hope this review helps you sift through the available options and that you can now confidently decide on your paying keen consideration to your preferences.
You can shop for the best heater for large room on Amazon or from other authorized dealers. Make sure you inquire on warranties as well as a break down on how to operate the device of choice before buying it. Go for a user-friendly gadget that is within your budget but equally safe for you and your household.