The basement may be used for various purposes, such as storage or living quarters – provided you arrange it right. With that in mind, since it is a space that is prone to humidity, you must ventilate it properly or else you will have to deal with mold growth.
This is where the best air conditioner comes in handy. The potential window might not be enough to keep the air circulating, which is why you need an air conditioning system to act as a helper. This guide will give you a few ideas on what to buy.
Best Basement Window Air Conditioner Reviewed
1. Pioneer Air Conditioner WYS018G-19 – Best Overall
- Save money all year-round with a highly efficient ductless mini split inverter+ heat pump system
- Ultra-silent and beautifully built: perfect for home or light commercial use
- Use for both cooling and heating: 18000 BTU/hour, with 19 SEER and 10 HSPF efficiency
- Comes with every needed component in the box, including an easy-install 16ft. copper piping kit
- Free tech support and a 5 year coverage on the parts and compressor
Last update on 2021-04-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
If you are looking for a good ductless AC system that delivers both cool and warm air inside the room, then you might want to give this model a try. Depending on the setting, you can put it on both cooling and heating mode – making it a good overall air conditioner for every season.
The unit comes with an installation kit, but you might want to get a pro unless you have the experience of installing such a unit. With that in mind, the design looks compact, making it the perfect choice if you just turned your basement into an actual living room.
This AC system comes with permanent filters that may be wasted, along with a variety of other filter options that you might like. Overall, this product offers all you might require from an HVAC unit without damaging your budget too much.
- Versatile as it delivers both hot and cool air
- Tranquil operation
- Great way to filter the air and clean it out
- It does not take that much energy.
- It can be controlled by remote.
- It might require a pro for you to have it installed
2. MIDEA MAP08R1CWT 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner- Best Budget
If you are looking for a small and efficient air conditioner, you should give this portable unit a go. The installation is straightforward, as the only thing that you’ll have to do is put it in place, attach the hose to the exhaust spot, plug it in and get it running.
The LED display allows you to read what the AC settings are with ease. You can set the comfort level that you require, and the unit’s sensors will perceive it in the air – delivering cool air accordingly.
The filter is washable, making this product have a low maintenance cost. Plus, it comes with a dehumidifying feature that will maintain proper humidity.
- The dehumidifier setting prevents the growth of allergens.
- Easily cools air
- Very easy to install
- Only suitable for small rooms
- It does not come with a heat setting.
3. COSTWAY Portable Air Conditioner 8000 BTU – Best Remote Control AC
- ❆【Fan Mode and 2 Optional Fan Speed: 】The multiple functional portable air conditioner offers fan mode as well as cool, dry, and sleep modes to meet various needs of users. Under the fan mode, there are 2 fan speeds accessible, and you can set the high or low speed as you wish.
- ❆【Sleeping Mode and Quiet Operation:】 In sleeping mode, this air conditioner will become quiet (Noise≦56dB). It’s able to maintain the temperature while you are sleeping. And you can use the 24-hour timer in combination to free you from additional worries.
- ❆【Fahrenheit and Celsius Display Data:】Like most air conditioners, the temperature settings of this portable air conditioner range from 64℉ to 86℉. The temperature display data can be switched between Celsius and Fahrenheit, the default is Celsius, but you can choose the unit that you are familiar with.
- ❆【Remote Control and Wide Coverage: 】There is a modern design that everyone loves, the remote control, that allowing you to set it up conveniently. The compact 8000 BTU/H air conditioner unit delivers fast, effective cooling for spaces up to 230 Sq.Ft in home, office, cabin or camper.
- ❆【Multiple Safety Protection Functions:】This air conditioner features multiple safety protection functions, such as 24-hour timer to set times as needs, water full indicator light to show when the internal bucket is full, self-evaporation system design to save energy and efforts of pouring water, etc. Notice：The most suitable window size is 22.5-42inch.
Last update on 2021-04-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
If you are looking for a cooling system that you can use for everything at any time of the day, you might want to give this unit a try. Featuring two fan speeds along with a dehumidifier feature, this 8000 BTU can smoothly go over a medium-sized space in your house.
You can set the air cooling system to two modes: day mode and sleep mode. You can hear the sound in day mode, but it won’t be bothersome during your tasks. Some say you can barely hear it. However, on sleep mode, the noise level goes below 56dB.
This air conditioner can read the temperature in your home, delivering heat so that you can reach your comfort level. You can use the display to set it between 64 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit – which means that the unit delivers a mix of both warm and cool air. You can also switch the readings to Celsius if that’s what you are used to.
This Costway cooling system may be activated through remote control. It also has reasonably comprehensive coverage, with the ability to go over 230 square feet. For the price that they ask for it, this unit is quite convenient.
- Tranquil, mainly when it is in sleeping mode
- Features many safety functions to prevent hazards
- Cools and dehumidifies the air at the same time
- you can use it for heating as well
- It can be controlled remotely
- The window exhaust kit may be difficult to adjust to smaller windows.
- Attachment and exhaust hose has to be handled with care.
4. AireMax 12000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner – Best Silent Air Conditioner
Featuring a power of 12000 BTU, many say that this is the best portable air conditioner that you can get for the price. With the ability to go over 400 square feet, you may even use it to cool down a medium to large-sized room.
If your home’s lower level has windows, then this makes the product an even better purchase. This cooling system comes with a window venting kit and an exhaust hose. This makes the installation very straightforward. The EER of this unit is also at a relatively reasonable rate of 9.5.
The cooling unit blowing the air in three modes: cool, dry, and fan, making it one of the quietest ACs.
The dual filters will also catch any potential pet hair, and the pump will ensure the air is processed to a level in which you find comfort.
Due to the four rolling casters found at the base of this unit, you may cool all the rooms in your home as well. This means that when you are done with one space, you can move on to the other. Keeping your entire home nice and cool has never been easier than this.
- It can reach quite a broad area.
- It is easily controlled by remote.
- Simple and straightforward installation process
- Some reviews say that it’s a bit loud.
- Not too many speed options
5. SereneLife SLPAC8 – Best AC with Built-In Dehumidifier
If you are looking for the best portable air cooling system, you might want to give the SereneLife units a go. This item is very compact, but at the same time, it can efficiently cool down any space in your home.
At 8000 BTU, the device may smoothly go over 225 square feet. Plus, aside from the cooling feature, you get a dehumidifying feature. It may not deliver actual heating in your home, but removing the moisture will help bring the air to a comfortable level. It will also make it less hospitable for any potential allergens.
This model features a total of three operating modes: cooling, fan, and dehumidifying. You can choose the setting that seems more suitable for you.
Installation is very straightforward, and the chances are high that you do not even have to get a professional to do the job. If you have windows in your basement, you have to use the mount kit with your unit.
- You can easily mount and vent it through the windows of the room.
- you may easily adjust the cooling setting may be easily adjusted for comfort
- Compact and portable compared to other units
- It can be activated by remote control.
- It does not deliver heating as well.
- While portable, it is cumbersome
6. Frigidaire Energy Star 6,000 BTU – Best Wall-Mounted AC for Basement
Do you have large enough windows that allow you to install a window AC? In this case, you might want to use this model. At 6,000 BTU, this unit should easily be able to keep a small to medium-sized basement cool.
You can set it on either of the three fan speeds, depending on your preferences. The smaller the speed, the less energy it uses and the quieter it will be. The Energy Star rating of the unit also suggests that it uses as little energy as possible.
Considering its low price, the unit has several features. You have an automatic timer where you can preset when it should turn itself on and off. Add this to the Energy Star label, and it can help you save even more power in the long run.
Thanks to the reduced size of this product, you may easily mount it on the wall. It works efficiently in delivering cool air inside the room – allowing you to remain at the perfect temperature at all times.
- Affordable price for those on a budget
- The unit offers comfortable and quality cool air.
- Made so that it does not take as much energy
- Perfect for medium-sized spaces
- Very easy to install
- It doesn’t cool too wide spaces on eco mode.
- A bit noisy on the higher levels
7. LG LW6017R 6,000 BTU 115V Window Air Conditioner – Best Small Basement Air Conditioning Unit
- LOW NOISE PERFORMANCE - operates at sound levels as low as 52dB (in low mode) eliminating unnecessary noise.
- MULTIPLE FAN SPEEDS - 3 cooling and fan speeds allow you to customize your cooling.
- MAXIMUM USABILITY - Easy to use electronic controls with remote
- AUTO RESTART - After a power failure, Auto Restart will automatically turn the unit back on when power is restored
- COOLS ROOMS UP TO 250 SQ. FT- LW6017R is ideal for cooling medium rooms (10' X 25')
Last update on 2021-04-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This is also an AC that you may easily mount to a wall and vent outside your window. Featuring three cooling speeds, you may choose which one works best for your comfort, depending on the room’s overall size.
With that in mind, with its 6000 BTU, this unit can add cool air in a room up to 260 square feet. It’s an excellent way to keep yourself cool on a day that does not give you any breaks.
This system has various energy-saving features that can keep your bills low. Plus, the Dry Air Flow option will keep the room’s humidity under control – maintaining the air nice and comfortable.
- Cools and dries the air at the same time
- Fairly easy to install
- It does not take up a lot of space.
- It isn’t quiet
8. Black +Decker BPACT08WT Portable Air Conditioner – Best Portable Air Conditioner for Basement
If you are looking for a light and easy-to-handle air conditioner, you might want to consider getting this model. It’s one of the best portable models out there, delivering cool air over a surface of 150 square feet – making it the perfect choice for those who have a small space to maintain cool.
Due to the reduced size of this AC, you may easily set it on the floor and vent it through the windows. It is also effortless to clean and maintain – the only thing you’ll have to do is clean the filter.
If you are easily bothered by the noise or want to use this air conditioner throughout the night, you may set it on sleep mode. This way, it won’t make as much noise.
- Efficiently cools a small room.
- The unit can be easily vented through any room exit.
- It may leak
- It does not have a heat setting included
Types of Air Conditioners that You can Use in Your Basement
When it comes to AC systems types, there are several that you may choose for your basement. Here is what you may go for, depending on your preferences.
1. Mini-Split Air Conditioner
The mini-split air conditioner is likely the best type of AC system that you can go for since basements often lack the space or environment for you to do a proper installation. This is why ductless mini-split options are so convenient, as they may be installed with ease wherever you need them.
Unlike other window air conditioning systems, the mini-split doesn’t require you to mount any ducts. Because of this, it becomes the perfect choice to target only a room.
Many of these units have an inverter technology that can deliver warm and cool air inside the room. This makes it easy for you to reach the perfect comfort level. They are also great for windows, as you can set the venting to release the warm air through there.
2. Window Air Conditioner
Window AC units are the classics that you may choose in this scenario. With this in mind, you need to be careful with your choice, as these air conditioners are meant for regular windows. This means that if your window is too small, it might not fit.
That being said, it is also the least expensive option that you can go for, and it is quite often energy-efficient. Provided you have the space necessary to install this type of cooling system in your basement, it can prove very useful.
3. Portable Air Conditioner
The most significant advantage of a portable air conditioner is that you can quickly move it around from room to room, depending on your needs. If you have a window in your basement, then you can place the portable air conditioner right next to it and make it vent through there.
Many new portable air conditioner systems also come with a built-in dehumidifier, meaning that you can also help maintain a comfortable temperature by reducing the humidity. They are not as expensive as other AC systems, which is why you may want to add them to any room.
Things to Consider when Buying a Basement Window Air Conditioning Unit
When buying a window air conditioner, you need to be particularly careful about a few aspects. This way, you will know the unit will function properly, without any technical hiccups in the long run.
Ease of Installation
Before choosing an air conditioning system for any room, you may want to consider its ease of installation. The best option would be a ductless system, as it requires less work.
Large-sized window AC units can also be more challenging to install, which is why you need to be careful of the orientation and size of the window.
Room in Sq. Ft. (Size)
How big your room is will also determine the capacity of the air conditioning system. If the room is too big, then the AC unit will consume more power than necessary – therefore, it will needlessly raise your electricity bill.
On the other hand, if the air conditioner is too small for the area, it might not reach the whole room.
Heating and Cooling Function
Air conditioners are focused on providing cool air, but a smart unit would also deliver warm air. By getting one that does both, you can get an all-season device – which means that you will not have to worry about two separate units for each purpose.
A good air conditioner should not go over your budget and not cause a big hole in your bank account. Consider the cost of the unit as well as the installation costs to see whether the price is worth it or not.
A good budget air conditioner should have the price somewhere around $200, but even a new one with more features should not cost you more. Make your choice based on your needs.
An air conditioning system that was marked as energy-efficient would allow you to keep your home at a pleasant, cool temperature – all without sending your energy bills into overdrive.
The first thing you should do is look for the Energy Star label, as these certified products can provide comfort without taking too much energy. Some other features can also help you decrease your energy consumption.
You should carefully consider maintenance. How easy will you be able to get to the parts that need to be cleaned? Do you need to replace the filters often? Does it have any parts that you will not be able to fix by yourself?
Get a product with an easy maintenance process that won’t make you go through too much work.
Basements are humid rooms by nature, which is why you may want to get an air conditioner that also has a dehumidifying feature. This way, you won’t have to spend extra money on a separate dehumidifying unit – saving you not only energy but space as well.
- Can you put an air conditioner through a basement window?
Yes, pretty much any air conditioner can be put through a window – whether it’s the whole thing or just the venting spot. It would be best if you sealed for any air leaks, ensuring that the warm air doesn’t crawl back in the now cool rooms.
- What happens If I do not have a window in my basement to vent the AC?
Not every basement has the benefit of a window – but regardless of the situation, the AC has to vent. You can create a vent for it through the wall, the ceiling, a door, or any other well-ventilated place that allows you. Make sure that you don’t send the warm air inside a room that cannot be ventilated.
- Should you use an air conditioner or dehumidifier to cool your basement?
The answer to this question is, “why not both”? A dehumidifying unit on its own may not be enough to improve the quality of the air in the rooms, which is why you might want to get an air conditioner with a dehumidifying feature. Unlike the simple dehumidifiers, an AC unit will take the air and pass it through filters and cooling coils – therefore, making the air much more breathable.
When it comes to the best basement AC systems, the clear winner is the Pioneer model – although we can’t discard the Costway and AireMax units either. It’s best to compare its features to see exactly which one works best for your needs.
Our top choice can maintain the air at a comfortable level, even if there’s high humidity. The unit will ventilate the space, prevent mold growth, and make the place more livable.
We hope you have found this guide useful. If you have any other questions for us, do leave a comment below.