If you’re looking to cut your electrical heating bill by 60% and cooling bill by 30%, it’s a great idea to choose an energy certified ductless mini-split system.
Energy-efficient mini split air conditioner will not only save you more energy, but it is also easy to install and don’t require ductwork.
If you want to upgrade to ductless mini-split heat pumps, you have to know the amount of heat or cold air the unit will have to provide to keep your room comfortable.
In this article, we have reviewed the best 24000 BTU mini-split systems that are ideal for rooms between 800 to 1500 square feet. We have also included a 24000 BTU ductless air conditioner buying guide that will help you choose the right unit for your home.
Best 24000 BTU Mini Split Reviews
1. Pioneer 24000 BTU Mini Split
The PIONEER 24,000 BTU Air Conditioner Mini Split Heat Pump is ideal for spaces measuring approximately 800 square feet. It is an energy star certified and an ultra-high efficiency air conditioner that features reliable cooling and heating qualities and precise temperature control.
The first thing you need to know about the unit is that it comes with an installation kit, including refrigerant lines and other accessories. Therefore, you don’t need to purchase additional accessories. The package also contains a remote control and a manual.
This unit is rated 17 SEER and has a 12.5 EER rating. Its reliable fan speed (up to 617 CFM) is another standout quality. The Pioneer has three fan speeds and supports multi-directional airflow.
The Pioneer offers customizable operation. You get to choose from four operating modes, i.e., cool, heat, fan-only, and dehumidification. It also comes with a programmable thermostat so you can set your desired indoor temperatures with ease. A programmable timer lets you program the unit to go ON or OFF – seven hours in advance. Additional features of the Pioneer include; broad setting range, auto restart, space saver, and optional Wi-Fi control.
If your room is less than 1,500 square feet, it’s best that you go for smaller unit. Check out our recommendations for the best 18,000 BTU mini splits.
- Efficient heating and cooling
- Ultra-silent operation
- Free tech support
- Comes with complete installation kit
- Professional installation required
- Only rated 17 SEER (high but not high enough)
2. Senville SENL-24CD 24000 BTU Mini Split Air Conditioner Heat Pump
A powerful cooling and heating appliance with high energy efficiency, the 17-SEER rating of the SENL-24CD shouldn’t fool you. This is still one of the best 24000 BTU mini split air conditioners.
Falling in the LETO Series, the SENL-24CD offers affordability and excellent for most applications, including single rooms, garages, and small apartments. For business owners, the unit is also suitable for restaurants.
The compact mini-split provides heating and cooling (up to 5F/-15C) powered by a Toshiba GMCC compressor. The inverter compressor is so good it will heat and cool your room even in temperatures as low as -5F. For quiet operation, the unit utilizes Whisper Technology. It includes an easy installation kit, complete with a 16-foot copper line set.
All LETO Series air conditioners, including the SENL-24CD, are backed with a 7-year manufacturer warranty for the compressor and a 1-year warranty for other parts. The only problem is that the shipment might come in two packages. One of the purchases may arrive a few days after the first shipment.
There are always a lot of options when it comes to Senville Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioners. So, if your room is about 1,000 square feet and want a smaller unit, you can check out our review for the best 12,000 BTU mini split systems.
- 4-in1 design for cooling, heating, dehumidification, and fan-operation
- The low ambient kit allows for cooling/heating even in extremely low temperatures.
- Whisper Technology ensures silent operation.
- Package includes easy installation kit with a 16-foot copper line set.
- Shipment may come in more than one package
3. Senville 24000 BTU SENA-24HF/Z Energy Star Mini Split Air Conditioner Heat Pump
A 4-in-1 air conditioner and a heat pump that also works as a dehumidifier and fan, Senville SENA-24/HF is an Aura Series system that forms parts of Senville’s wall-mounted mini-split category.
The unit offers efficient heating (up to -30/-22F) and cooling, with a 25 SEER rating (highest among its peers) and a 10.3 HSPF rating (again, one of the highest among mini splits in its category).
Some of the greatest features of this unit include the whisper technology for ultra-silent operation, refrigerant leak detection to help with maintenance. The inverter technology improves efficiency and performance while the Silver Ion filter technology traps the smallest microorganisms, keeping your indoor air not only clean but also healthy. The SENA-24HF/Z also features self-cleaning technology and self-diagnosis capabilities.
To make the installation process simple, Senville SENA-24/HF comes with an installation kit included, complete with a 16-foot copper line set. Other accessories in the installation are; mounting hardware, control cable, rubber mounting pads, tube wrapping tape, drainage tubing, etc. It is Energy Star Certified, ETL certified, and AHRI approved.
As you may realize, these models by Senville are great. So, if you just want to keep a small room warm or cool, espcially if it’s less than 500 square feet, we suggest you go for a 9000 BTU mini split.
- DC inverter technology for ultra-high performance
- High-quality design for an attractive appearance
- Energy Star and AHRI certified
- Comes with installation kit included
- A follow-me remote control function
- DIY is a little more complicated than what the manufacturer says
4. Daikin 24000 BTU Mini Split Air Conditioner
Integrated with an inverter variable-speed compressor, Daikin 24,000 BTU Wall-Mounted Ductless Mini-Split System will have a significant impact on your comfort, while helping you save money.
It delivers the cooling capacity required to maintain desired indoor temperatures while consuming a fraction of the electricity necessary to run similarly-sized systems.
Among the unit’s top features are a wide-angle louver design and auto-swing comfortable mode controller settings that ensure effective heating and cooling throughout the space.
The AC also operates silently. The indoor component operates at less than 37 decibels while the outdoor unit rarely goes past 51 decibels. For quieter operation, activate the Quiet Mode to lower the sound level by an additional 2-3 decibels. Other than the 17 SEER rating, the unit is also has a 9 HSPF rating and comes with a 10-year limited parts warranty.
Although the unit is single-zone (can only cool one room at a go), it can effortlessly cool or heat up to 1,500 square feet! This makes it an ideal choice for a wide range of applications, from primary living areas to new constructions, renovations, and remodels. Additional features of the Daikin 17 Series include; advanced filtration, wireless control, and AHRI certification.
Many people prefer Daikin ductless mini split units because they are affordable. So, if you have a large room and looking for an inexpensive option, check out our review for the best 36000 BTU mini splits.
- 10-year limited warranty
- Whisper-quiet operation
- Full installation kit included.
- Coverage area is 1,500 sq. ft
- High energy efficiency
- Modestly priced
- Manually operated (you must turn it ON/OFF manually)
- Customer support can be a little frustrating
5. MrCool Advantage 24k BTU 17 SEER Ductless Heat Pump Split System
The 24,000 BTU mini-split from MrCool’s Advantage Series is a quiet running air conditioner with Wi-Fi functionality, low ambient cooling, and timer. The ductless AC also features auto-swing, sleep mode, and leak detection.
According to the manufacturer, it’s the perfect air conditioner for any homeowner who wants to combine superior interior comfort with environmentally friendly technology.
Still, on the features, the air conditioner comes loaded with the environmentally-safe R410A refrigerant and is certified by both AHRI and ETL as an energy-efficient appliance.
For uninterrupted operation, the unit employs leak detection technology that sounds an alarm to alert you of low coolant, preventing damage to the compressor. The Sleep Mode is another quality addition to the AC. As you go to sleep, turn ON the Sleep Mode for extra quiet operation with minimal energy consumption.
- Smart HVAC Wi-Fi control that connects with smart devices
- Automatic restart in the event of a power outage
- Automatic switchover between heating and cooling mode
- Complete installation kit provided, including 16-foot line set.
- Refrigerant not included
- Only 1-year compressor warranty
Buying Guide: Choosing the Best 24,000 BTU Mini Split
What is a Ductless Mini Split System?
A ductless mini-split is a smaller-than-average air conditioner that; (1) doesn’t depend on air ducts within the home, and (2) comes in two parts (an indoor unit and an outdoor component).
The two units are connected via refrigerant tubing and electrical lines, often through a small hole in the wall. The units typically have just one outdoor unit but can have up to five indoor units.
How Ductless Mini Split System Works
Ductless mini-split air conditioner comprises four main components, each with specific uses within the system;
- Condensing unit: The condenser is located outdoors and has condenser coils that pump cool air through refrigerant lines into the indoor unit.
- Air handler(s): The air handler (also known as an evaporator) is the indoor component of mini splits. They can be wall-mounted, ceiling-mounted, or stand freely on the floor.
- Refrigerant lines: Charged refrigerant lines connect the indoor air handler to the outdoor condensing unit. They’re small tubes of cooling refrigerant and come in different names such as line sets or refrigerant tubes. Most line sets run through a hole in the wall, though their handles tubes can also be run through a window.
- Remote control or wall monitor: Depending on the type of mini split you’re buying, the unit can come with either remote control or a wall monitor. These are control devices/interfaces that allow the user to change temperature, modes, and other settings.
The working mechanism is simple. When cooling, the indoor unit takes in air and passes it to the outside (condenser) unit to be cooled. The fresh air is then passed back into the room and distributed evenly with the help of a blower system.
Some ductless mini-splits also come with an inbuilt heat pump. Where this is the case, the heat pump helps to transfer heat from one place to another. They also have a reversing valve that can change the direction of heat flow.
Advantages of Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioners.
Ductless mini-splits come with a ton of benefits. The following are some of the perks you stand to enjoy from these appliances, compared to other air conditioning systems;
- Easy installation: The most significant advantage of ductless mini-splits comes from the fact that there are no ducts. This makes installation much more straightforward. All you need is to drill a small 3-inch hole through the wall. Or, you can pass the tubes through a window, further simplifying the installation process.
- High energy efficiency: The lack of ducts also makes ductless mini-split systems a lot more energy efficient than other air conditioning systems. AC ducts are usually responsible for about 30% of energy loss in air conditioning systems, with the potential for even higher energy loss if the ducts are leaking. Ductless mini-splits remove this problem.
- Individual Temperature Zoning: If you choose multi-zone mini split air conditioners, you can control heating/cooling in each room, independently. You can turn off cooling or heating in one place without interfering with conditioning in other rooms. This is unlike in central air conditioning systems where switching off the unit turns of cooling or heating in all the connected spaces.
- Quiet operation: First off, most mini-split air conditioners implement advanced technology that ensures a quiet operation throughout. Senville models, as we’ve seen, employ Whisper Technology for silent operation. Secondly, in mini-splits, the noisier condenser component is located outside the house. This further reduces indoor noise.
- Interior design flexibility: Ductless mini splits are some of the most beautifully designed air conditioners out there. The indoor components are particularly eye-catching. This makes them a welcome addition to any interior and a boost to your decor. What’s more, there are multiple installation options to choose from, including ceiling-mounted, wall-mounted, and floor standing models
Factors to Consider When Selecting a 24,000 BTU Ductless Air Conditioner
With mini-splits, selecting the right one for your home is not an easy challenge. You must get the selection right. Otherwise, it could be $2,000 or more down the drain. The following considerations should help you pick the right unit;
This is, by far, the most crucial factor. Are you choosing the right size mini-split for your home/space? Like we mentioned earlier, we recommend a 24,000BTU unit for rooms between 800 to 1500 square feet. But, a few additional rules apply.
- If the ceiling in your space is higher than eight feet or the room is poorly insulated, then you need an extra 20% BTU.
- For a poorly insulated 1,500 square feet room, you need about 28,800BTU and not 24,000 BTU.
- Add 30% BTU for climates with seasonal temperatures over 90F.
- Keep these guidelines in mind throughout the shopping process.
Single vs. Multi-Zone Units
Aside from size, you also need to decide whether you need a single zone or multi-zone mini-split. The difference between the two is that single-zone units only have one indoor unit, whereas multi-zone models have two or more indoor air handlers.
In multi-zone models, each air handler can be placed in a different room (zone). Also, each air handler has its thermostat that can be controlled independently. This means that, at night, you can shut off air conditioning in the living room while keeping the bedroom unit running. Remember, however, that multi-zone mini splits are more expensive than single-zone units.
While mini-split units are generally energy-efficient, with 24,000 BTU models ranking high among the most efficient air conditioners in the market, the level of efficiency varies from one model to the next.
We urge you to focus on two efficiency ratings; the Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) rating and the Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (HSPF) rating. SEER ratings range from around 15 to 38 while HSPF values range from 9 to 15. For SEER, anything above 19 is excellent while for HSPF, any value above 10 is more than good enough.
Inverter vs. Rotary Compressor
You may also want to consider the type of compressor/condenser used in the AC system. 24,000 BTU mini-splits come with either inverter or rotary compressors. The difference is critical.
To maintain desired indoor temperatures, a rotary compressor turns ON and OFF severally during operation. Inverter compressors, on the other hand, will use enough power to reach your desired room temperature. However, it won’t require any more energy after that, only until the temperature drops.
Many consumers prefer inverter-type compressors because the constant ON-OFF operation of rotary compressors often leads to faster wear and tear.
Now that we have discussed some of the best 24,000 BTU mini-split systems on the market, understand how they work, and their advantages, you can go on and decide which one to buy.
We want to stress on size. If possible, find an HVAC professional to help you determine the right size mini-split for your home. Also, it’s much better to go for expert installation. It costs more, yes, but the result is better positioning, fewer safety risks, and ultimately, better performance!